As the fastest-growing, highest-performing charter school network in New York state, Success Academy has reimagined what’s possible in public education. Since 2006, Success Academy has been meeting the call of families demanding a high quality education for their children by opening 47 schools across New York City. Primarily serving low-income families and communities, we have created a revolutionary K-12 school model that is nationally recognized for achieving outstanding academic results for students. Success Academy is disrupting the status quo, and we are looking for candidates who are excited to join the education reform movement and to apply their knowledge to the organization. We now need an agile, results-driven Communications Associate to join our Communications Team.
Reporting to the Chief of Staff of Communications, the Communications Associate must be prepared to handle the following:
- Assist in developing and implementing communications, media, and public relations strategies in support of our schools and our advocacy efforts, ensuring that strong positive messaging is conveyed internally as well as externally.
- Draft various materials, including newsletters, fact sheets, presentations, press releases, advisories, speeches, op-eds, and general information documents.
- Be a masterful storyteller, able to showcase the moving stories of scholars, parents, and staff who are changing public education for good and demonstrating that all kids can succeed regardless of zip code.
- Perform research and data analysis in support of relevant stories and translate data into visual presentations.
- Provide assistance with responses to daily media requests, including site visit coordination and other interview details.
- Assist in the planning and execution of press conferences.
- Become proficient in issues around education reform.
- Remain abreast of current legislative and non-legislative issues about which SACS may receive inquiries.
- Work a flexible schedule that may include long hours, nights, and weekends.
- 2-3 years of experience in a communications, content, or PR role (or similar) preferred. However, recent graduates with writing / content experience are encouraged to apply.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (including a sophisticated writing style).
- Confidence communicating across a wide variety of platforms, including digital, written, and in-person presentations.
- Strong analytical, research, and organizational skills.
- Must have the ability to meet tight deadlines and be resourceful and attentive to detail and accuracy.
- Flexible and proactive approach to projects; ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously with a can-do attitude.
- Knowledge of and experience working in New York City media a plus!
- Ability to effectively interact and communicate with internal and external partners at all levels.
- A commitment to improving public education and ensuring all students have access to a high quality school.