The Seawall Coalition is a nonpartisan group of 60+ elected officials, local leaders, military groups, and businesses that have come together to advocate for national solutions to sea level rise and flooding in our coastal and riverfront communities.
We’re a start-up nonprofit organization with deep donor backing, and we do things differently. We aim to change the game with a singular focus on sea level rise and flooding, a creative approach to finding solutions, and deep analysis and partnerships that leverage existing efforts. We draw on our strength as communicators and practical problem solvers to reach and bring in those that other groups do not, building broad public support for built and nature-based solutions at the local and national level.
Our team is passionate, entrepreneurial, fast-paced, and looking to radically improve how communities around the country adapt to sea level rise and flooding.
Mission of Role
We are looking for a detailed oriented person who is passionate about our mission and wants to lead the communication and public relations efforts that are critical to redefining how policymakers and citizens reckon with sea level rise and resilience.
A successful leader will craft and communicate our unique story to journalists and other thought leaders; coach and work with coalition members to make their voices heard and build urgency to find solutions; devise specific communications materials and campaigns to support our legislative initiatives; and engage in face-to-face meetings with commentators and other opinion leaders.
We are looking for a quick-witted, entrepreneurial and intellectually curious person to join the team. To succeed here, you'll need to be able to combine creativity with the organizational skills to manage numerous different projects against tight deadlines simultaneously, as well as enjoy pitching to all kinds of journalists, bloggers and commentators.
Things happen quickly and to get stuff done here you need to be an enthusiastic team player - a self-starter who can work as a team of one or many and isn't frightened to take risks or try out new ways of doing things.
If you want to work with some of the most talented and passionate people in the space that are all focused on righting the course of tomorrow, you've come to the right place.
• Define our communications strategy and lead the positioning and communication activities for the coalition
• Coach and position coalition members to be thought leaders on sea level rise and flooding and increase the political urgency to act on these topics
• Represent Seawall Coalition as a company spokesperson for a wide variety of media and blogger enquiries
• Develop close, productive relationships with journalists, bloggers, product reviewers and our key partners across the United States
• Develop written materials, including story pitches, messaging guidelines, press releases, Q&As, presentations and speeches
• Driven: Must love and be curious about analytics, enjoy problem solving and always try to improve campaign KPIs and user experience with our brand
• Entrepreneurial: A self-starter who can drive their own work, think of new ideas, and collaborate effectively
• Precise: Extremely detail-oriented and executes to a high level of accuracy
• Flexible: Ability to handle multiple projects and prioritize responsibilities
• Engaged: Remain current with industry trends while continually leveraging new tools and industry best practices to boost efficiency of campaigns
• Fun: Our profession is our passion
• Inclusive: Everyone has a voice
• Impact: We only do things that move the needle
• Trust: We rely on each other and the world can rely on us
• Integrity: We always consider the impact of our actions
• Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Communications, Public Relations or equivalent practical experience.
• Minimum of 4 years of experience working in communications or public relations
• Ability to speak and write in English with Spanish being a big plus
• Demonstrated ability to work calmly and maintain good judgment in fast-paced environments
• Proven background in crafting, pitching, and landing earned media in a variety of formats
• Ability to think, plan and execute on multiple projects simultaneously in an organized fashion
Compensation & Benefits
• Competitive salary commensurate with experience
• Robust benefit options
Please send resumes to Tanya Matos at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.