Jr. Data Operations Engineer
New Visions for Public Schools, New York
New Visions for Public Schools develops and implements scalable approaches to achieving strong and equitable outcomes for students in urban public schools. We currently support over 150,000 students in over 300 schools. Our digital products help simplify complex managerial challenges so that school leaders and educators can focus on supporting their students to graduate school and have a successful post-secondary career.
This position will be expected to support the infrastructure of web portal applications, web APIs , data analytic pipelines, and data security. The NewVisions infrastructure is primarily cloud based, hosted in AWS and Google. We have a diverse collection of technologies in use, including Redshift, MongoDb, mySql , Node.js, R, Google App Script & Python.
Required Skill Set and Knowledge Base:
- Must have good knowledge of Linux and be comfortable with linux cli and vim
- Must have working professional experience with SQL
- Working professional experience in host, network and application administration
- Working knowledge of git or comparable Source Control tools
- 3+ years of experience in technical operations, systems/ security engineering role
- Experience with script development, preferably using either Bash or Python
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- Basic use of security models surrounding encryption, PKI, authentication, authorization and access controls
- Investigate anomalous events across our service infrastructure and coordinate response with developer and operations teams
- Design and develop automation to ensure platform, services, and machine security.
- Develop security monitoring and detection systems.
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English
- Strong data analysis/validation & problem solving skills
- Ability to interpret, evaluate and communicate detailed information
- Ability to interact with IT personnel on all levels to resolve issues
- Ability to self-manage assigned tasks and projects
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction
- Willingness to learn new technologies
Nice to Have
- Experience with AWS or equivalents (with a focus on iam , ec2, s3, vpc, rds)
- Experience with cloud monitoring and logging technologies
- NoSQL , Web-Technologies and APIs , Docker-Container Management, IT resource optimization
New Visions for Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer.