CBS Interactive, a division of ViacomCBS, is the world's largest publisher of premium digital content and a perennial top 10 Internet company. CBS Interactive's brands span popular categories like technology, entertainment, sports, news and gaming.
Properties include the websites, apps and streaming services of the CBS Television Network such as the CBS All Access subscription service, CBS News Digital platforms including the 24/7 digital news network CBSN, and CBS Sports Digital brands including the 24-hour streaming sports news network CBS Sports HQ, as well as digital-first properties in key content verticals, including CNET, ZDNet, TVGuide.com, GameSpot, Last.fm, Metacritic and Chowhound.
Follow CBS Interactive on Twitter and Facebook.
The Video Technology Group develops industry-leading online and mobile video delivery systems and IP for CBS.com, CBSSports.com, CBS News, CNET, GameSpot.com, and the entire suite of CBS Interactive sites. Our team is responsible for the delivery of premium content to millions of people every day. We set company-wide video standards and help internal business units integrate the video delivery stack into their specific online products. Additionally, the team serves as the company's information resource on current and future trends in digital video. This is a great opportunity for someone who is interested in doing high-visibility, mission-critical work.
The Video Delivery, Experience & Optimization team works within the Central Video Technology Group is focused on using a data-driven approach to understanding, improving and monitoring the end-user video experience. The group will work across the video ecosystem/stack to allow data to drive decisions and actions made in Video Ingesting & Processing, Players, Content Delivery Networks (CDNs), and many other areas. Exposing these valuable insights to all businesses at CBSi will allow them to provide the best experiences for their users and assist in maximizing user engagement and revenues.
We are looking for a Software Engineering Manager who is passionate about large scale video ecosystems and cares about code quality, uptime, performance, continuous deployment, design principles, and test-driven development. You'll be an integral part of the Video Delivery, Experience & Optimization team, leading engineers to build and release products and support the business in optimizing for the best video quality, and optimal user experience. You will be contributing to the design and implementation of components that will enable the next generation of video experience at CBS Interactive.
- Lead a team of engineers working on products/solutions for Automated CDN configuration, Real-Time Operational Visibility of End-To-End Video Workflows and Automated Video Quality Analysis at Scale
- Co-ordinate and run the teams Agile/Sprint process and always be on-top of assignment of tasks and project deliverables and deadlines
- Encourage an engineering culture that promotes test-driven development and code coverage
- Participate in software architecture discussions and code review
- Lead the team to effectively Architect, design, develop, test, maintain and improve software systems
- Collaborate with Engineering and Product Teams as well as third party partners to develop both short and long-range strategic roadmap planning
- Collaborate with other engineers, leadership and members of the Central Video Technology Group distributed across multiple locations to determine priorities and best practices, and refine functional requirements
- Work with Video Quality of Experience and other data sources to set a baseline for existing Video Quality and Experience across the company.
- Ensure a robust and reliable pipeline is in-place for collecting and analyzing Video QoE data, CDN/Origin logs, and other data sources
- Support systems to automate the deployment, testing and management of thousands of CDN configurations across multiple vendors
- Support the production of operation of systems to scale video quality analysis to large content libraries and enable next-generation encoding pipelines
- Define critical KPIs around Video Quality and Experience, and work with teams across the business to align these with business goals/values
- Work with teams across the company to optimize Video Experience in the context of large production websites and applications
- Help to design and maintain architectures for Live and VoD streaming workflows at incredible scale
What you bring to the team:
You have -
- 5+ years of people management experience and the ability to operate with influence, leading engineering teams working on online video streaming
- Be a leader that your team is excited to follow, both through regular and planned activities, but also when plans change unexpectedly due to outside influence
- Promote an open environment of mutual support and knowledge sharing across teams
- Experience leading the hiring process, conducting interviews and finding suitable candidates for open engineering positions
- OTT, Web and Mobile video streaming experience
- Experience with technical writing and design documentation
- Experience with project management tools including JIRA and Confluence
- Strong communication and teamwork skills
- Experience working with contractors and consultants as an extension of your internal team, clearly defining project/work deliverables
- Experience working with Video Quality of Experience tools such as Conviva, Mux or Youbora (or equivalent homebuilt/internal tools)
- Experience working with Cloud/SaaS services such as Amazon AWS, Google Cloud & Microsoft Azure
- Demonstrated knowledge of Content Delivery Networks and experience with tuning/optimization
- Knowledge of network routing protocols include HTTP/S, TLS, QUIC, IP, Source Specific Multi-casting, and UDP.
You might also have -
- Proven experience working with client-side video developers to optimize video playback
- Deep understanding of video protocols such as RTP, RTMP, HLS, DASH, HDS, Smooth Streaming;
- Experience with H.264/AVC, H.265/HEVC, VP9 and AAC audio and codecs
- Experience with Digital Rights Management Systems (DRM), including Playready, Widevine & FairPlay
- Experience performing load/stress tests on video infrastructure
- Knowledge of the color space, bit depth, and HDR systems
- Previous experience with video processing services such as AWS Elemental MediaConvert/MediaLive, BitMovin, Zencoder, Encoding.com
- Experience with benchmarking and profiling
- Experience with log aggregation systems such as Splunk, SumoLogic, ELK
- Knowledge of Content Delivery Networks and experience with tuning/optimization
- Familiarity with products that enabled Edge Compute
- A desire to always be learning and exploring new technologies
- Experience with Big Data pipelines/tools including Azure Data Explorer, Google BigQuery or AWS RedShift
- Fluency in programming languages such as Python, Go and Rust
- Experience with open-source multimedia projects, such as FFmpeg
- Patches or code publicly available
- Open Source development experience
# LI - AS1
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled