Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Solution Engineers on Planet’s Professional Services team are experienced technologists who work with customers to make them successful users of Planet's product offerings. Different users will need different kinds of help, but most importantly, you will need to be a good listener to understand users' problems and then apply creative solutions. Your efforts will be directly visible in customers' ability to make global change actionable.
Solutions Engineers are respected thought leaders, helping guide Professional Services projects and project teams to successful outcomes.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Apply your expertise in remote sensing and geospatial technologies to help Planet’s Professional Services customers be successful in their adoption of the Planet Platform.
- Understand and align Professional Services project development to your customer’s business and technology strategies.
- Build software tools, demos and sample applications, and continuously improve the applications that customers and developers experience using Planet’s APIs and analytics endpoints.
- Own the customer success lifecycle for Professional Services engagements, from scoping and discovery, to project execution and delivery. On any day, you may find yourself writing requirements documents, applying your expertise in data analytics, collaborating with software engineers, leading a training event, or delivering solutions to a client.
- Champion Planet’s products and offerings in-person and via online assistance by providing training, presenting at conferences, writing technical tutorials, and publishing articles and videos.
- Collaborate with Sales to help close business opportunities, growing Planet’s customer base and usage of Planet data across vertical markets.
- Influence the direction of Planet’s products and offerings by gathering insights from customer engagements and the user community.
- Interact and engage with users in Planet’s Education and Research program to source novel customer applications and unique insights.
What You Bring:
- As a Solutions Engineer, you pride yourself on your problem-solving and analytical skills
- You have the ability to quickly learn unfamiliar systems & code bases
- You can handle the most stressful situations calmly
- You often suggest ideas for new applications and processes that can improve operations
- You're self-motivated
- Your ability to debug & triage complex problems is outstanding
- You work well independently or as part of a team
- Demonstrated ability to lead customer engagements
- Ability to run workshops or training sessions with users
What Makes You Stand Out:
- 3+ years experience working in a technical geospatial or remote sensing role
- Proven ability programming with Python to process imagery, manipulate vector data, interact with APIs and build data pipelines
- Expertise with QGIS, Esri software, GDAL or other common geospatial software
- Degree in GIS, Computer Science, Remote Sensing, Geography or a related field
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.